Talkitup has been closed since August 2009. I leave this archived version up for some of the juicy goodness contained herein. Computers suck - go outside and play. Full Version link keeps you in the archive. Contact

TalkitUp - A Debian Support Forum Configure your Desktop
Pages: 12
Install Enlightenment E17 on Debian Sid/Etch By: Rich_S Date: March 20, 2007, 10:06:25 AM
I currently have E17 as my default on Sid and (for me) it has been as solid as a rock, so here goes.......

1st we need to add a repo to our Sid sources.list

su
password

nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Then we add this repo

deb http://edevelop.org/debian sid main
deb-src http://edevelop.org/debian sid  main

Now for the gpg key so you can access the repo when you update (Hey Resa? Wink)

wget http://gefechtsdienst.de/uman/files/archive_key.asc

Then configure it with apt

apt-key add archive_key.asc

That's it, now you can update your apt.

apt-get update && upgrade

Now lets start the install

apt-get install e17

If it throws up an error....

apt-get install enlightenment

That's it, let it all come down and install itself, then reboot and you just have to choose enlightenment on the session tab and you will be blessed with the view of the sexiest desktop known to man !

Rich

**Here's a video preview just to tempt you further** Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Uo-DRZWAA
Re: Install Enlightenment E17 on Debian Sid By: machiner Date: March 20, 2007, 10:11:33 AM
Awesome -- but a word of warning to those out there  about to "upgrade" your box to SID, unstable -- be careful.

Unstable is where new packages go and they are sometimes -- well, frequently -- not ready for primetime.  You can have a lot of fun running sid, but you can also be turned off to Debian or even Linux in general.

If you're not that savy, stay away from Sid.  However, if you don't mind updating daily and waiting perhaps a week for packages to get fixed -- than by all means, have at it.

Rock on.
Re: Install Enlightenment E17 on Debian Sid By: useResa Date: March 20, 2007, 12:33:17 PM
Well it works perfect in an Etch installation as well!
I have it running on an Etch installation and works like a charm.
Re: Install Enlightenment E17 on Debian Sid By: machiner Date: March 20, 2007, 12:47:03 PM
Right on.
Re: Install Enlightenment E17 on Debian Sid By: Rich_S Date: March 20, 2007, 05:05:58 PM
Quote from: useResa on March 20, 2007, 12:33:17 PM
Well it works perfect in an Etch installation as well!
I have it running on an Etch installation and works like a charm.

Me too. Machiner is right though, if you want a guarunteed workstation, be careful with Sid. Personally I have had no problems, but I wouldn't recommend the risk to a new user. I would stay stick with Etch, as Resa says, my tutorial works fine on Etch as well.

Rich
Re: Install Enlightenment E17 on Debian Sid/Etch By: machiner Date: March 21, 2007, 10:01:06 AM
OK, I bit.  I must admin an interest in E17 for more than a year now.  I don't get all crazy like you do, it's just a DE, but it is pretty schwing.  Fast and, well, ugly as hell with this default theme, but that will change. 

It segfaulted a few minutes into my first run with it when I tried to drag Opera into the task bar through the configuration widget.  However, atht e bottom of the "This is very bad..." warning page that I got, I was able to choose recover and it did.  With no interruption to my desktop.  That's the shit right there.

Anyway, I'm in it right now and have some time so I may just pimp it to my liking and run with it for a while.

I don't see it replacing my beloved Xfce4, though.  I dunno, nothing is set in stone on my desktop.  I gotta add some handy functionality to this beast.

--machiner
Re: Install Enlightenment E17 on Debian Sid/Etch By: machiner Date: March 21, 2007, 10:17:36 AM
OK bling-hags, I'm commin' up!  E17 is cool, no doubt.  I fired-up Synaptic and checked for more E17 stuff and I installed the e17-desktop as well as the extras.  I'll get to configging soon.  Oh, I also chose Entrance to be my display manager instead of GDM.  Looking pretty schweet.
Re: Install Enlightenment E17 on Debian Sid/Etch By: Rich_S Date: March 21, 2007, 06:20:03 PM
Quote from: machiner on March 21, 2007, 10:17:36 AM
OK bling-hags, I'm commin' up!  E17 is cool, no doubt.  I fired-up Synaptic and checked for more E17 stuff and I installed the e17-desktop as well as the extras.  I'll get to configging soon.  Oh, I also chose Entrance to be my display manager instead of GDM.  Looking pretty schweet.

Eh? Entrance? In the repos? .... Sid or Etch?

**Rich goes a huntin'**

EDIT: Yup! In the Edevelop repo. Whatsmore it's the "James Bond" version !
entrance libentrance0 0.9.0.007

Cool
Re: Install Enlightenment E17 on Debian Sid/Etch By: machiner Date: March 21, 2007, 06:34:27 PM
Dood!
Re: Install Enlightenment E17 on Debian Sid/Etch By: Rich_S Date: March 21, 2007, 06:52:41 PM
Oooooooooh! Niiiiiice, I like that ! Oh yeah ! That is one sexy login screen ! Woot!
Re: Install Enlightenment E17 on Debian Sid/Etch By: machiner Date: March 25, 2007, 07:36:16 AM
Ya, so just to update.  I had e17 installed and running on my Etch system, but it lacked.  Sure, it was pretty, sure it was fast and lightweight, but I need functionality over eye-candy.

This is not to say that I won't ever run it again, maybe spend more time with it when they work some more bugs out, but for now it's just a whiz-bang project that fails to impress me.

I run Debian because I like to run a thing that works.  If I wanted all the "Gee whiz, Wally" stuff that I had to constantly work to run with satisfactory results, I could still be using Windows.

Baah -- to each their own.  I'm just a crotchety prick.
Re: Install Enlightenment E17 on Debian Sid/Etch By: Rich_S Date: March 25, 2007, 11:33:17 AM
Quote from: machiner on March 25, 2007, 07:36:16 AM

Baah -- to each their own.  I'm just a crotchety prick.

No, but seriously, Enlightenment has great funcionality once you set it up. I know it looks pretty, but it is fast even with all the eye-candy.
Re: Install Enlightenment E17 on Debian Sid/Etch By: useResa Date: March 26, 2007, 02:14:08 PM
Quote from: machiner on March 21, 2007, 10:17:36 AM
I fired-up Synaptic and checked for more E17 stuff and I installed the e17-desktop as well as the extras.  I'll get to configging soon.  Oh, I also chose Entrance to be my display manager instead of GDM.  Looking pretty schweet.
OK, finally had the time to look into this.
Checked Synaptics found e17-devel-extras and entrance (also got this working, see (scaled) attachment).
Nice login screen I must admit.

Now for the major question .... where is e17-desktop!!! I can not find this in my repositories.
Is e17-desktop the name of the package?
Re: Install Enlightenment E17 on Debian Sid/Etch By: Rich_S Date: April 07, 2007, 07:45:24 AM
Did you read my Howto Resa ?
Or did you miss the button on the login screen where you select session ? (golden plaque below the password box) Your's maybe on Gnome as default.
Re: Install Enlightenment E17 on Debian Sid/Etch By: useResa Date: April 07, 2007, 02:28:44 PM
Quote from: Rich_S on April 07, 2007, 07:45:24 AM
Did you read my Howto Resa ?
In the meantime I did and it sure helped  Wink
Quote from: Rich_S on April 07, 2007, 07:45:24 AM
Or did you miss the button on the login screen where you select session ? (golden plaque below the password box) Your's maybe on Gnome as default.
I only found out that one after the installation of Elive (unstable)

SMF Archive Funded by SMF For Free Free Forum Hosting (smfforfree.com)
SMF Hacks(smfhacks.com)