Talkitup has been closed since August 2009. I leave this archived version up for some of the juicy goodness contained herein. Computers suck - go outside and play. Full Version link keeps you in the archive. Contact

TalkitUp - A Debian Support Forum Software
Pages: 1
Rock your graphics with this wicked Gimp tutorial By: machiner Date: April 23, 2009, 07:44:48 AM
If you mess around with graphics in any way you might find that the Gimp is the program for you.  If you've used Photoshop you'll find that the Gimp is not a perfect replacement for it, but if you don't need those fancy professional features, then Gimp will rock your world.  The Gimp isn't a Photoshop replacement anyway.  Try to keep that in mind.

I don't personally use it because I don't mess with graphics, but on those rare occassions I will.  The interface is a little rough and I have some trouble finding menu items and/or features that I "need" but I'm pretty ignorant anyway, so don't let my experiences rule your decisions.

I used Photoshop a little a bunch of years ago because, ya know, someone gave me a copy.  It boggled my tiny little mind no end. What a package.  Can you say overkill?  Mostly I stuck with the old Fireworks (2, I think)  proggy from Macromedia.  It made the graphics I needed quickly and efficiently.  Someone gave me that, too.

This tutorial is very cool.  Try to ignore all those bitching that the Gimp can't do X.  I read their arguments (lol, just llike the ones that Windows twits toss around about Linux: old, wrong, lame) and most of them were just wrong.  Anyway, the Gimp is clearly not for them.  Lol, but that doesn't stop them from whining...waaaa  waaaaa ......

It might be for you, though.  Inkscape is pretty handy, too, as is XaraX.
Re: Rock your graphics with this wicked Gimp tutorial By: StanTheMan Date: April 24, 2009, 08:58:32 PM
The Digikam group developed a photo editor clled ' Showfoto ' that does most of the things that GIMP does , but does them much more easily and user friendly.
Showfoto is available on most Linux repositories.

Re: Rock your graphics with this wicked Gimp tutorial By: machiner Date: April 25, 2009, 07:36:57 AM
Wicked -- now we have another.
Re: Rock your graphics with this wicked Gimp tutorial By: alioop Date: April 25, 2009, 09:18:03 AM
I don't have a big need for a graphics program but this looks like it's worth a look. Thanks.

SMF Archive Funded by SMF For Free Free Forum Hosting (smfforfree.com)
SMF Hacks(smfhacks.com)