Talkitup has been closed since August 2009. I leave this archived version up for some of the juicy goodness contained herein. Computers suck - go outside and play. Full Version link keeps you in the archive. Contact

TalkitUp - A Debian Support Forum Software
Pages: 1
To be WICD or Not To Be Wicd... By: alioop Date: April 25, 2009, 09:27:21 AM
I've been using wicd on my laptop. I decided to install it on my desktop. Both machines use Lenny. I notice that on my laptop, when installing wicd, the default network manager is automatically removed. I'm assuming there would be some conflict. That did not happen on my desktop. I mean the auto removal of the default network manager. 

Will this cause a problem? Do I have to remove it?
Re: To be WICD or Not To Be Wicd... By: machiner Date: April 25, 2009, 09:36:18 AM
You know -- there is a search function  Wink
Re: To be WICD or Not To Be Wicd... By: alioop Date: April 27, 2009, 04:09:50 PM
Normally, when I do an 'aptitude search 'appXYX', if it's installed, aptitude will let me know when the results of the search are done. If install, it comes back with, 'i appXYZ'.

Doing the same with both network-manager-gnome and wicd I get an i for wicd. But a c for network-manager-gnome. Hmmm? I wonder what that means?

On the other hand, I did a search using Synaptic. It shows network-manager-gnome NOT installed.

While I never saw network-manager uninstalled, I guess it was. Must be my old eyes that missed it.

I'm still searching.

And I guess you're thinking why in hell do I use Aptitude from a terminal. And my answer is, because I damn well want to! So there!

Re: To be WICD or Not To Be Wicd... By: machiner Date: April 30, 2009, 05:13:19 AM
I meant here on the forum.  We've discussed wicd in the past.

Using aptitude in a terminal means you have a large penis and good fortune naturally comes your way.
Re: To be WICD or Not To Be Wicd... By: alioop Date: April 30, 2009, 07:43:46 AM
Quote from: machiner on April 30, 2009, 05:13:19 AM
I meant here on the forum.  We've discussed wicd in the past.

Using aptitude in a terminal means you have a large penis and good fortune naturally comes your way.

Grin I know. Very true.

SMF Archive Funded by SMF For Free Free Forum Hosting (smfforfree.com)
SMF Hacks(smfhacks.com)