Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless on Debian with your Broadcom AirForce One 54g (bcm43xx)  (Read 11916 times)
« on: January 25, 2007, 09:26:10 AM »

Wireless on Debian with your Broadcom AirForce One 54g (bcm43xx)
Debian has made it super easy to get your wireless going if your box uses the Airforce One.  Which is very likely as Acer, Dell, etc. use these cards on their laptops.  If you own a laptop with this card and you want wireless networking you've arrived at . . .

Thank You.  You laid the information out properly for me to understand and I did as instructed.  Now I am using my wireless!
machiner
autodidactic

I dig the binary violence

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 09:48:53 AM »

There are some folks writing to me with annoyance that their (Debian derivitive distro) is having trouble on their (particular brand) laptop.

Here's hoping that some of you write in with your laptop type, Linux distro type and tell us what's going right and or wrong that we may address this.

Ya -- this is a Debian specific forum and tutorial website, but the bigger picture is helping folks ditch that Windows monster.

Qui tacet consentire vidétur
barocio
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 10:28:15 AM »

I have done all of theese:
    * install bcm43xx-fwcutter
    * let it download and extract firmware
    * cp the *.fw files from /lib/firmware to /lib/hotplug/firmware
    * use network-admin to set your wireless connection up
    * disable ethernet to use wireless
    * happy networking
Except the last one.

This is what lspci returns to me on my Compaq Presario V2000 [V2617LA] running Debian Etch:
Code:
$ lspci
05:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

I also downloaded and installed bcm43xx-fwcutter, and ansewed "yes" to download and install the firmware.

I copied the *.fw files to /lib/hotplug/firmware, tried also to symlink file by file and making it a symlink to the directory.

I # modprobe bcm43xx, also checked with # modconf, and everything seems to be fine.

I configured my Wireless, deactivate the Ethernet and activate the Wireless, but no result.

When i do iwconfig, my sistem responds:
Code:
# iwconfig eth1
eth1      IEEE 802.11b/g  ESSID:"ENS_Wireless"  Nickname:"Broadcom 4318"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.484 GHz  Access Point: Invalid
          Bit Rate=11 Mb/s   Tx-Power=18 dBm
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

After that, I doubted about the ESSID, so give it a try to kwifimanager but it continues to reply that it is OUT OF RANGE and the signal strength is 0 [zero], even when other laptops with a Broadcom  AirForce One 54g [macbook with OS X] recived strength signal and have no problems to connect.

Can any one help me?  Huh
machiner
autodidactic

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 10:45:45 AM »

get rid of the symlinks, reboot -- status?

Dumb question, maybe -- but fundamental:

When you set your ESID in your router, did you set the same in your network-admin box>  or the /etc/network/interfaces file?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 10:52:02 AM by machiner » Logged

barocio
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 12:44:40 PM »

get rid of the symlinks, reboot -- status?

Dumb question, maybe -- but fundamental:

When you set your ESID in your router, did you set the same in your network-admin box>  or the /etc/network/interfaces file?

I also get rid of symlinks, but no.

The ESSID is correct (checked about 30 times letter_by_letter), so I don't think there may be the problem. Besides, kwifimanager supose to try to retrive correct ESSID for avaliable wireless networks. Besides, the router is not mine: I work in public areas and therefore I will need to be switching networks relatively often (that's why I installed kwifimanager).

Undecided  Huh

machiner
autodidactic

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 01:17:07 PM »

I dunno, man -- I had the same: Access Point: Invalid  message when I was installing ndiswrapper and that whole thing. I actually had to boot my box into Windows and press the damned button on the front of my acer laptop to "initialize" the nic card before wireless would work either in Windows or Debian.

I know how stupid that sounds, at least it does to me.

You did everything that I do.  Only difference it that I'm using wireless and to this point you cannot.  Maybe you must use different drivers.  Sometimes the ones that Debian includes will not work.  People must use the drivers on their Windows system disc -- you'll need to replace the contents of /lib/hotplug/firmware with the Compaq ones, or - other Windows ones. 

You can try these drivers -- ignore the setup.exe file in this directory -- it's already done.  I downloaded these generic windows drivers a few months ago.  They worked for me through ndiswrapper.  The files you'll need are:

bcmwl5.inf
bcmwl5.sys

I saw a tutorial on the Ubuntu forums site some months ago that might help.  It will help with extracting the files that you need.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/bcm43xx-win-drivers.tar.gz   (6.XMB archive)  (or, go find better ones)

If you go the ndiswrapper route, you'll have to prevent the Debian bcm43XX drivers from loading...

In /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist add this entry:

blacklist bcm43xx

lemme know -- sorry I couldn't be of better help.  Maybe someone will chime in and help.

Rich_S
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 01:57:26 PM »

When are people going to start buying hardware for linux instead of messing around trying to configure Linux to work with incompatible hardware?

Laptop (Any)
Cisco Wireless (Any)

Endiswrapper not needed, works out of the box.
machiner
autodidactic

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 02:03:55 PM »

Cool --  You can be the heavy.

Rock on.

Rich_S
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 02:41:38 PM »

Sorry for going *kinda* off-topic, but it's a valid point. nVidia instead of Agi, Cisco instead of D-link, broadcom etc.

If you checkout http://www.linuxcompatible.org/compatibility.html before you buy, life is cool and you can rock on Wink
machiner
autodidactic

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 02:44:15 PM »

No worries -- you go.  And speaking of nic cards -- check this action:

http://www.netxen.com/products/overview.html

http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS2719552372.html

machiner
autodidactic

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 11:15:32 AM »

There are several settings in my D-Links wireless configuration routine that will cause my wireless connection to either fail or work in such a manner that it's lack of speed is too infuriating to bother with.

For example, if I change my WEP to shared from managed my connection will not work.  After playing around for a while, the configuration that you see in the attached image is one that suits me best.  I do plan to keep messing around to fing the best configuration that allows me all the security I can get while still running optimally enough for my needs.

Oh, that ESSID, or enhanced ssid, or prevent ssid broadcast mode also kept my connection from running.  I plan on buying the Linksys wrtgl soon enough that I might add a 3rd party firmware to.

* wireless-setting.png (58.55 KB, 552x555 - viewed 367 times.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 11:29:20 AM by machiner » Logged

ckous
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 04:45:06 PM »

Hello all,

Unfortunately, the very good guide at http://www.debiantutorials.org/content/view/153/213/ didn't work for me. Sad

I have a hp notebook with a turion64 processor running debian-amd64 testing. I use a d-link dsl-g604t as a modem/router which is one foot away from my notebook. My wifi card is the Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02) (copy-paste from lspci).

I even built and installed a custom linux kernel (2.6.20.4 ver) but to no avail.

Here's the relevant info from dmesg:

bcm43xx: Chip ID 0x4318, rev 0x2
bcm43xx: Number of cores: 4
bcm43xx: Core 0: ID 0x800, rev 0xd, vendor 0x4243
bcm43xx: Core 1: ID 0x812, rev 0x9, vendor 0x4243
bcm43xx: Core 2: ID 0x804, rev 0xc, vendor 0x4243
bcm43xx: Core 3: ID 0x80d, rev 0x7, vendor 0x4243
bcm43xx: PHY connected
bcm43xx: Detected PHY: Version: 3, Type 2, Revision 7
bcm43xx: Detected Radio: ID: 8205017f (Manuf: 17f Ver: 2050 Rev: Cool
bcm43xx: Radio turned off
bcm43xx: Radio turned off
ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'WEP'
bcm43xx: set security called, .active_key = 0, .level = 1, .enabled = 1, .encrypt = 1
bcm43xx: PHY connected
bcm43xx: Microcode rev 0x127, pl 0xe (2005-04-18  02:36:27)
bcm43xx: Radio turned on
bcm43xx: ASSERTION FAILED (radio_attenuation < 10) at: drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_phy.c:1496:bcm43xx_find_lopair()
bcm43xx: ASSERTION FAILED (radio_attenuation < 10) at: drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_phy.c:1496:bcm43xx_find_lopair()
bcm43xx: Chip initialized
bcm43xx: 32-bit DMA initialized
bcm43xx: Keys cleared
bcm43xx: Selected 802.11 core (phytype 2)

Here's iwconfig's output:
eth1      IEEE 802.11b/g  ESSID:"WIRELESS"  Nickname:"Broadcom 4318"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.484 GHz  Access Point: Invalid
          Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Tx-Power=18 dBm
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:ABCD-EF12-34   Security mode:open
          Link Quality=0/100  Signal level=-256 dBm  Noise level=-256 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

I don't know what else i can do, so suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
machiner
autodidactic

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 07:40:49 PM »

Hey

Did you try ndiswrapper first?  Blacklisted the bcm43xx driver?

How's that cool-ass alternate firmwarable router of yours?  Set up just so?  All correct?  Well, that's not it anyway...?  Is your router broadcasting your SSID?  Make sure it is.  Have you tried with encryption and without?

Any help in /var/log/syslog?

I'm moving this weekend -- busy all day today, tomorrow and probably Sunday, so I'll be in and out.

My internet connectivity will be down after tomorrow until Tuesday - 3 April.  But -- I'll certainly work with you on Tuesday, who knows, maybe some of the shy ones that signed up here will creep in, too.

Keep us posted.

ckous
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 03:41:18 AM »

Hey

Hello!

Did you try ndiswrapper first? 

From what i have read on the internet, a combination of ndis, wine and window$ drivers  (uggggh!) make the wifi work. Take a look at this link:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=58690&sid=6952592b746381f9d69868db73126bc6

However, i'm not willing to put anything from window$ in my linux box. I might as well use window$ if i do that!

Blacklisted the bcm43xx driver?

Nop.

How's that cool-ass alternate firmwarable router of yours?  Set up just so?  All correct?  Well, that's not it anyway...?  Is your router broadcasting your SSID?  Make sure it is.  Have you tried with encryption and without?

All the above are tested and checked to be working ok.

Any help in /var/log/syslog?

Nop.

I'm moving this weekend -- busy all day today, tomorrow and probably Sunday, so I'll be in and out.

My internet connectivity will be down after tomorrow until Tuesday - 3 April.  But -- I'll certainly work with you on Tuesday, who knows, maybe some of the shy ones that signed up here will creep in, too.

Keep us posted.

I think i'll just use ethernet for now. It seems like too much trouble for something i don't immediately need. I ''l get back to you if i do something new.

Thanks guys
k1w1
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 04:52:53 AM »

Have Acer Aspire 3610 Model no MS2177. Broadcom BCN94318 MPG. Worked a treat. Fabulous, thank you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

talkitup a debian support forum Powered by SMF   |  SMF_Clear by Crip
This forum operated by debiantutorials.org
talkitup a debian support forum