Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Resize that large Windows Partition  (Read 1494 times)
machiner
autodidactic

I dig the binary violence

« on: January 26, 2007, 09:21:14 PM »

Resize that large Windows Partition
This tutorial will guide you through the process of resizing your large hard drive partition to make room to install another operating system (you're going with Debian GNU/Linux, right?) right alongside your original install of Windows. Many of you would . . .

We can discuss all kinds of issues that you may have right here.  Some visitors to the site had isues with their mouse, etc.

I dig using the System Rescus Disc, others may not.  There are many ways that you can manage your partitions.

Qui tacet consentire vidétur
machiner
autodidactic

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 03:56:16 PM »

Before you resize your windows partition -- you should probably do some hoousekeeping.  I might uninstall uneccesary programs (what -- about 90% of the crap you have on there) backup and maybe relocate program and personal data.  For instance -- when I ran windows all my program data went to a different partition.  I'd install to C:\progra~1 like normal, but all the data went to D:\program-data.   SOmetimes I would install the programs themselves to D:\

So -- keep what you need, nuke the rest.  Then -- defrag.  Twice.

Then you can reboot to your rescue disc and open your favorite tool for the job.  I use the SYstem Rescue Disc and I run_qtparted to accomplish this.

OR1k

muahahahhahaha

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 01:33:22 AM »

I actually had a chance to do this with a co-workers lappie that has XP on it. After defragging the drive the live cd I was using used gparted and the resize/copy took over 2 hrs! Wasn't expecting that since I used the partitioner in Vista and it only took a few minutes. Needless to say finished all the resizing and stuff up, made new partitions and happily installed sidux on his box with a dual boot. muah ha ha ha ha

Linux vampypengy 2.6.25-2-686 #1 SMP Fri Jul 18 17:46:56 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
machiner
autodidactic

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 07:41:21 AM »

It's important to defrag a Windows partition - twice - before you manipulate it.    Also, when you are resizing, there are a few important considerations the utility must make, moving files, new partition structure -- the OS needs to be able to find the moved files.  Everything's gotta be changed.  It can happen very quickly, but all pre-flight checks must be in the green.  No yellows.

Yep, I have seen a large partition resize take a while.  Never hours, but definately 10 or 20 minutes.  When youre doing this on a 160GB drive, or something = outrageous, it's not going to be an instant run.  Too much has to happen.

But it's all moot now anyway, ey?  Done deal - you rock, your buddy's got a dooley, the sun's risin'......you get what you need.  Awwwww  yeah.

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

talkitup a debian support forum Powered by SMF   |  SMF_Clear by Crip
This forum operated by debiantutorials.org
talkitup a debian support forum