Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: some Debian system files for reference  (Read 1191 times)
machiner
autodidactic

I dig the binary violence

« on: February 20, 2007, 10:29:52 AM »

See the article at the site: debian system files

« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 10:31:51 AM by machiner » Logged

Qui tacet consentire vidétur
machiner
autodidactic

I dig the binary violence

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 07:49:30 AM »

You might also want to think about files and directories in your ~/ directory (home).  .gnupg, .opera, .mozilla, .bashrc -- these are things you probably want to have backed up.  Maybe you have a bunch of scripts for Nautilus, so save .gnome2/nautilus-scripts, too.

What about your mail directories?  Maybe you use Gringotts and keep your grg file in the .gringotts directory.  Keep sharp about your hidden /home/you files and directories.  Every once in a while burn them to a disc, label it, and file it away.

If you're setting up and running a server you already know the configuration files to back up, hell, just tar /etc and call it a day Wink  With so many easy and reliable backup solutions you may wonder why I recommend having a working copy of typical system files around.  Well, they can be handy, and not bad to have when you're rebuilding your system  from scratch either.

Being able to do: mv /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.old, cp /home/you/systemfiles/fstab /etc/  is pretty nice.

For a quick restore using files instead of an image or similar I have on hand:

/etc/fstab
/etc/hosts
/etc/apt/sources.list
/etc/network/interfaces
/etc/resolv.conf
/root/.bashrc
/etc/profiles

After I reinstall Debian I just rename the existing versions and cp my versions in their place, et voila!  'Course, I gotta make the directories in the /mnt directory.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 07:55:07 AM by machiner » Logged

Qui tacet consentire vidétur
xplozion

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 10:35:56 AM »

Yep those are very important to backup if you want to feel like in your old system in your new system  Wink

Also if you run other programs, for example rtorrent, dont forget to backup rtorrent.rc config files and such.

Another that might come handy is your xorg.conf too, sometimes i make so mane changes to it that i save a backup in case i re-install my system for whatever reason.

Another thing i i do alot is backup the bash_history files!! Yes  Grin for root and for my user! I really find it handy and you can make a script out of it to make your life easy.

I build a script to install lamp server, download and compile rtorrent and libtorrent also to install it and to wget the config file and place it, and to install screen and make rtorrent run in a screen mode so it stays running in the BG Cheesy

I learned this the hard way, while still a newbie to linux i often tested several distros, so after every new install i had to make all this stuff over and over, then i was like hey! i can make a script out of the history so it auto install everything for me:  Cheesy

Oh well i just find it usefull... But thats meh!

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

talkitup a debian support forum Powered by SMF   |  SMF_Clear by Crip
This forum operated by debiantutorials.org
talkitup a debian support forum